Monday, March 30, 2009

8. Just for good measure

I recently got turned on to Iron & Wine after apparently stubbornly ignoring their existence for a few years. They aren't a contender for favorite band, but they definitely have some amazingly gorgeous stuff. For me, their appeal highlights a change I've noticed in my own musical tastes in the last year or so. I've been increasingly drawn to "indie" music, especially the folksy/acoustic/slow/"boring" stuff. I think I do like the musical style a lot, but what really draws me is the poetry of the lyrics. My musical library has expanded to include some artists who I think are not only musically very talented but also brilliant handlers of the English language. Maybe I'm becoming more emotional in my old age, but I am often blown away or moved to tears by the beauty of song lyrics now.

Then again, I've also discovered that I sometimes actually need to stop listening to certain songs or albums because of the emotional impact they have on me. I went off the Fleet Foxes for a few weeks (woah alliteration) because some of the songs were hitting me oddly hard.

Yesterday I was listening to some Iron & Wine a friend gave me while doing homework, and the song Naked as We Came came on. It's not a new song, and I had heard it before, but I really listened to it that time. And then I looked up the lyrics and listened to it again...and burst into tears. Something about the sound of the song and the lyrics and maybe my emotional state made me have a minor, but not unhappy or bad, meltdown. And when I listened to it again last night I cried again. So now I can't listen to it at all for a little while unless I want to cry like a baby. Good grief.

No comments: