Thursday, March 5, 2009

3. Undergrads

When I was thinking about a grad student, I was very sure I would not be one of those snobby grad students who look down on undergrads. I mean, after all, I worked harder in undergrad than I do now. I was a good undergrad! And coming from undergrad straight to grad school, I'm close in age to the seniors.

The freaking undergrads are driving me crazy. Well, actually, only the work-study ones in this building, since I don't really interact with others. But these ones WILL NOT SHUT UP. I understand wanting to chat while bored at work, I do it too. But seriously, if there is nothing for them to do, why do we have three of them at the desk at one time? And why does that guy keep giving really bad advice really badly? And why is printing something such an ordeal? I do not want to hear about their messy relationships, travel plans, or internship frustrations. I would be ok with the chatter if it weren't so loud I feel like I have an army of sorority girls next to my desk. Blech.

Some of them aren't bad. Some are actually quite nice and helpful. But man, some of them make me want to come out of my office, where I might actually be trying to do work, and throttle all of them.

1 comment:

gwen said...

I never made any promises about how I'd act toward undergrads, so I feel perfectly justified in saying this: Those insane frat boys who live at the top of the hill and blast the stereo at the merest hint of a sunny day? They have the worst taste in music of anyone on this planet. Last week, it was Rod Stewart; this week, it was that "More than Words" song from the early 80s. Seriously, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.