Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stop wallowing in laziness, you bum

I've been a little moody and dissatisfied lately, and I haven't really been able to put my finger on what it is. I'm pretty sure I'm happy with my life, and I don't think it's my relationship, though my job leaves something to be desired. After a little bit of thought, I determined that I might need to set myself some goals. I think part of my problem is that I don't feel like I'm doing much of anything worthwhile, and I don't have much of anything to look forward to. Now, if I had say, and interesting trip to plan and anticipate, that might help. Though, dope that I am, I only just now remembered ALA. It's not an exciting voyage to a foreign country, but at least it's something.

Anyway. Goals. I think I need some goals, and I think I need to make sure I actually try to complete them. So, once I set them, I will try to figure out how to put them in a sidebar on here or something, so they can show up and I can mark them off once I've completed them. I like lists, and I like marking things off lists.

So, I think I need these types of goals:
  • Exercise goal - related to running and/or biking. Maybe a distance or speed I want to be able to accomplish? I do poorly with "I will run X number of days" type of goals.
  • Baking goal - I am clearly obsessed with baking, so this makes sense. I just need the actual...goal.
  • Academic goal - normally this would be a grade, but honestly, I'm good at grades. What I have not been good at lately is actually caring about the work beyond what it takes to get the grade. I want to be more invested in my academic work.
  • Job goal - Ditto on the job - I just haven't cared much lately, and I need something to motivate me.
  • Reading goal - this isn't really difficult, because I love to read, but I think I could benefit from a goal that gets me to read more nonfiction.
  • Fun goal - something that I would like to do, or something new that I would like to try, that I might not otherwise.
So, does anyone have any suggestions? Clearly, I need actual goals and deadlines.

1 comment:

gwen said...

God, I suck at goals. And I totally hear you on the academic thing but have never figured out a way to get myself more motivated...

But as for the reading one, what if you and I both picked a book of nonfiction and read it together so we could talk about it? I have recently discovered that I really like nonfiction and want to read more of it too...